Cosmetic teeth whitening is on the rise – so it's no wonder that more people are keen to find out how to keep stains at bay.
Although opting for teeth whitening treatment from a dentist is a great – and safe – way to achieve a dazzling smile, there are ways to avoid further discolouring your teeth on a day-to-day basis.
From foods to alcoholic beverages, here are some things to avoid:
- Tobacco – an obvious one. The nicotine and tar in tobacco can be absorbed by the teeth, adding to discolouration
- Coffee – this might be a tricky one to cut out entirely. Milk can help to reduce the stains. You should also limit the amount you drink – stick to two cups and no more
- Tea – like its coffee counterpart, tea is also guilty of staining. The advice is the same as above – milk is your friend
- Fizzy drinks – this one might be obvious, but it is still worth adding to the list. Full of acids and colouring, your teeth will be a lot better if you avoid these completely. If this is hard, enforce a strict limit
- Wine (especially red) – nobody likes to be told they should avoid wine. With red, its colours are the problem. However white wine can also cause issues. The acidity significantly weakens your enamel – making you more susceptible to stains.
- Fruit Juices – much like wine, it has worryingly high acidity levels
- Curry – just think about how this stains your plates, counter tops and even finger nails. The same applies to your teeth.